Monday, October 27, 2008

In Memeory of Tony Hillerman


The first Hillerman novel I read was "The Ghostway." My DH & I read a review of the book (I ALWAYS read local newspapers when I travel) when we were on our honeymoon in NM. We had just completed a week-long rafting & camping trip and were lazing around Taos. I wish I could remember the name of the little bookstore where went to buy the book.

Of course, we fell in love with the book and over the years we have read every one of Hillerman's novels. It is so sad to know that there will be no new ones.

He well and truly broke the rule of beginning his books by describing the weather, the landscape, and the light. Of course, with his books, the setting was as much of a character as Leaphorn or Chee. The dry high desert air, the stars upon stars in the clear night sky, the smell of dust, and sage, and pine, and the song of a coyote ----being there and reading one of his books for the first time was the perfect way to appreciate the setting.

My TBR pile has been preempted, and I will reread his novels beginning with the Ghostway.

3 comments:

Wynda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aleta said...

I have never read any of his books as I can recall; however, I love stories that take place in the desert and I will definitely check him out.

FIONA said...

Aleta, I hope you enjoy his books as much as I did.