Tuesday, December 9, 2008

COMFORT READS

Inspired by Janet Reid’s post today, I was thinking about my "comfort reads" those books I curl up with when I'm sick, or feeling overwhelmed.

Sometimes I want to revisit old friends and enjoy the flavor of the characters more than the story. For this, I will pick up a Rex Stout or an Ellis Peters. Then there are times I have read, or tried to read, an awful book and I need to cleanse my mental palate with something familiar.

I like to reread LITTLE WOMEN around Christmas. I often dip into a Jane Austen in the spring.

There are also books I reread every year. One, my favorite book, is TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. I know the book hasn't changed, but I hope that I have and will get something new out of it.


What about you. Do you have a "comfort read" or a favorite reread for a certain time of the year? Or do you read once and pass it on? What do you do to forget a bad reading experience?

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi...saw your comment on my sisters blog...LOVE your dog...what a cutie! We had two collies and they are absolutly the best dogs...Im sure Shelties are the same...enjoy your day!

FIONA said...

Thanks, Kathy.

I think all herding dogs are great. They are intelligent, loyal, and fantastic watch dogs.

Aleta said...

My comfort read would be Robert Frost's poetry, especially "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." As for bad reads, if a book doesn't grab me in the first couple of chapters, I put it down and forget it. BTW, I'm reading Tony Hillerman's The Shape Shifter and so far, so good!

FIONA said...

Aleta, that's my favorite of Frost's poems. My kids have a picture book, with beautiful illustrations, of that poem. Now I'll have to go look for it.

Hope you like Shape Shifter. My favorite Hillerman is FALLEN MAN, followed by SACRED CLOWNS. The series is more fun if read in order, though. I'll bet your library has them all.