Monday, January 12, 2009

BOOK OF THE WEEK



THE PRICE by Alexandra Sokoloff

If the classification of "HORROR" tends to call up images of slasher movies and badly written books, think again.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to read outside of my comfort zone (mysteries, literary fiction, and SF are my staples for fiction) and this was the first book on my list. I took it with me on my vacation. I haven't read much horror since high school, but I had the pleasure of meeting Alex in San Francisco at RWA, and I enjoy her posts on craft at MURDERATI, so I took THE PRICE along.

I was glad I did.

The story was heart-rending and disturbing---in a good way. It made me think, "What would I be willing to do to save my DH or my kids?"

I love it when a book moves me and makes me think.

Many years ago, I worked in a Childrens' hospital, and found Alex's portrayal of that environment nuanced and accurate. I hate to discuss the plot more, because I don't want to ruin one minute of your enjoyment discovering the story yourself.

What have you read recently outside your "comfort zone" and did you like it? What makes you pick up a new author's book? What is in your to-be-read pile?

2 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Thanks Fiona.. Looks like a good read!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

FIONA said...

Betsy, I hope you like it. I was fascinated by Alex's take of evil and suffering.