Monday, January 26, 2009

BOOK OF THE WEEK



My book of the week is SOME LIKE IT HOT BUTTERED by Jeffery Cohen.

Laugh-out-loud funny, with a great mystery. The murder is "off the page" so there is no gore, and the "romance" part is sweet.

I love the "voice" of this writer. He's smart, funny, and great at portraying believable characters. I love his references to old movies. Now I'll have to request them from the library.

His humor was perfect for me. The arctic blast, hobbling on a cast, and my DH gone for a week had put me in a winter funk. This book lifted me right out. I enjoyed it so much that I ordered his other books, too. I need some humor in my life.

I checked and they have all of his books at our library, too.

Have some fun and check out this new-to-me author.

UPDATE: Jeffery Cohen is blogging today. Check it out.

11 comments:

Jeff Cohen said...

Thank you for the lovely review! I'm glad the intended humor managed to get through. I hope you enjoy the other books, as well.

FIONA said...

WOW, the real Jeff Cohen, in the blog. WOW.


Thanks for commenting, Jeff. I LOVED the book. I'm going to order ALL of your other books.

I see that you have a new book coming out in the Spring. Your other books will have to hold me until then.

I "discovered" you when a friend of mine told me about your NF book on Asperger's. Her son has Asperger's and she loved your writing.

BTW, I love you on the "Dead Guy's" blog, too.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Thanks Fiona---Sounds exactly like the type of book I would enjoy reading. You are an inspiration---and I can tell your passion when talking about books you love. Thanks so much!!
Hugs,
Betsy

FIONA said...

Betsy, I can honestly say this is a book for everyone.

I'm going to send a copy to my MOM, and my sister. We all like mysteries, but have different tastes. This one will be great for everyone. I even think my teenager will enjoy it. My DH is reading it now.

Jeff Cohen said...

Yes, the new book is A NIGHT AT THE OPERATION, and it's coming in April. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my work--makes an author's day to hear it.

FIONA said...

A NIGHT AT THE OPERATION---I'm choking on my coffee!!!

Believe me, folks, his books are even better than his titles, and the titles are a hoot.

Rhondi said...

Hi Fiona
I am always on the lokout ofr a new author. Thanks for the tip. I'll see if our library has it.
hugs, Rhondi

Rhondi said...

I just noticed that the author himself let a comment. Very cool!!

FIONA said...

Rhondi, if you can't find this book, look for his others. He has an earlier series which is a hoot, too.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Hi again! Just wanted to say thank you for joining my blog as a follower! Awesome! Also I entered your giveaway and those cards are lovely!

FIONA said...

Coralie, Welcome back. Thanks for introducing me to the OneWorld-OneHeart give-away!