Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Contemplating Change

I watched the inauguration yesterday with my kids, and was so proud of my country. We had a transition from one major political party to the other. Peacefully. With a million people in the streets--not to riot, but to celebrate.

Eight years ago, a President was inaugurated who lost the popular vote, but was judged to have won the electoral vote. There was no need for martial law, or suspension of elections, to have the transition.

Now, this is not a political blog, so I'm not going to wax poetic on which inauguration sent me to the moon, but I WILL say how thrilled I am that these transitions take place peacefully.

Four or eight years from now, someone else will be sworn in, and perhaps from the party not in power now. I expect that to go on without hysteria, too.

I am so thankful to live in a country where this can take place. We can vote without fear of violence. We can have transfer of power from one major party to another without civil war. I don't have to fear change. I know my vote counts. I can speak out against politicians and not fear loss of life or liberty.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I agree, Fiona - it's a great country!

FIONA said...

I hope we will all do what we can to deserve the freedoms we have, and protect them for future generations.

I can't help feeling so proud of my country and it's citizens.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Fiona-- We do live in a great country. The only thing that bothers me now is that the majority (we) allow the fringe groups (minority) to control us... We need to fight to keep America the way our forefathers wanted it to be.
Hugs,
Betsy

FIONA said...

Betsy, it truly is the extreme part of both parties which gets in the way of making things work for the majority of us.

Let's hope common sense will prevail.

Of course, we can also make sure our elected officials know EXACTLY how displeased with them we are if they go off on tangents.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Fiona, I was thinking the same thing as I watched all of the proceedings. This is the greatest country on earth!

I'm thankful for our freedoms and those who give their lives to protect them as well as those who give of themselves to legislate them. I loved the respect everyone showed for each other. That's critically important, particularly right now with such challenges facing us. I think most Americans want both parties to work TOGETHER for the common good.

XO,

Sheila :-)

FIONA said...

Sheila, working together is the only way we can fix the huge problems in our country.

I heard about a pundit (who shall remain nameless--he doesn't deserve to get more attention) who said about The President, "I want him to fail."

WHAT??!!!! If our President fails, our country fails. How can any American wish for failure?