Thursday, January 8, 2009

Someone in need

My sister's family experienced a tragedy 4 years ago. They had an electrical fire and due to smoke and water damage, lost the entire contents of their home. They were safe, all the pets were rescued, but they literally only had the clothes on their backs.

It took almost a year to rebuild, but the loss continues to this day: Photos that can never be replaced, the rocking chair that had been in the family for four generations, hand-written recipes from our grandmother, my nephew's guitar collection which was not covered by the insurance, my niece's doll collection from all over the world.

They rebuilt, moved on, and still grieve.

That is why when I read about author Travis Erwin and his family's loss, I wanted to help and help spread the word.

He, his wife, and kids are safe, but I'm sure you can only imagine how awful it must be to loose EVERYTHING.

Here's a link for where you can help.

Now, go check your smoke detectors!

2 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

So sad, Fiona. I'm sorry about your sister's family loss.. Life goes on, but it is never easy. Hugs and prayers to them.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Hugs,
Betsy

FIONA said...

Thanks for the hugs and prayers, Betsy. My sister's family has rebuilt, and the kids are now grown. My niece was married in June, and my nephew will be married in May.

They all have more smoke detectors than you would believe, and check them once a month.