Monday, February 16, 2009

Caring Bridge

Here on the internet, between LOLcats and rambling blogs, is a special place that provides a service which can only be accomplished online. It is the Caring Bridge.

I found out about it in the worst of ways--a friend's son was seriously injured last weekend, on a church ski trip. He has a head injury and is in a coma. I can barely see the screen through the tears.

Beautiful, athletic, funny, intelligent--and now paralyzed on one side. In a coma. Not breathing on his own. This is the kind of tragedy you hear about and think, "How sad." When it becomes a part of your world, life as you know it will NEVER be the same.

I can't do anything right now to help this family heal, but I can spread the word about a wonderful, and free, service that is helping my friends stay connected, and helping them share updates.

Visit www.CaringBridge.org

What the internet does best---spread the word.

7 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

How very sad, Fiona.. I will definitely put this family on my prayer list.

Hugs,
Betsy

FIONA said...

Thank you, Betsy. He is a beautiful 13 yr old boy and his family are devastated.

The good news is he's no worse today--there is no brain swelling and the bleeding has stopped. The bad news is that the sedation was stopped this morning and he is not waking up yet.

Time will tell, and waiting is so hard.

I'll be sure to post updates. His name is Henry.

Shellmo said...

I will say prayers for this poor boy! Being young is his advantage in recovering. I had a friend in college who was hit head on in a car accident and was in a coma - they never thought she'd wake up. She surprised everyone, recovered (with some short-term memory problems) and also learned how to walk again. I wish the same for this young man!

FIONA said...

Shellmo, thank you so much. I know the family are still in shock, but they appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and prayers.

Annie said...

Fiona,
This is frightening. I send my hope and good wishes for a positive outcome. Henry has youth on his side...that's a neurological plus. I had a head injury when I was a child and was unconscious for 3 days. Let's hope he has a similar experience. (And neurological treatment has improved greatly since my injury.)

P.S. There were times during my coma that I could hear people talking around me.

FIONA said...

Annie, thanks for the encouragement. He is at an excellent hospital, and his mother said that everyone talks to him when they come in the room, and tell him exactly what they're going to do before they do it.

I hope to hear some good news later today, when she updates her Caring Bridge post.

Claire said...

Fiona,
I am new to blogging so forgive me, I was going to my sons caring bridge site, it has been a lifesaver, as my son had a motorcycle accident on 8/09/09 and he had a 95% chance of not coming out of the coma, he is in Atlanta, Ga at Restore and is walking, talking, eating, all the things the doctors said he would not be able to do! I will pray for your young friend, I am in Florida and I saw my son last weekend, you are right that you will never be the same.
Thanks for spreading the word for caring bridge.
Claire