Friday, September 18, 2009

Beauty is where you find it

Several years ago, my parents purchased an acreage near the farm where my mother was raised. They have a lovely garden, a couple of terriers, and a peekapoo they inherited from my Grandmother. Dad found an old John Deere and they were enjoying life out of the city.

Except.

There was something Dad wanted. He had wanted it for YEARS. He couldn't explain it, but over time it became more and more important. He just had to have.....goats.

GOATS?






Introducing Joe and....



Billy. (really, Billy)



My mother was less than thrilled. Bless her for her patience. She comes home and the sweet potatoes are gone or half of the apples are missing---the goats needed a treat.

Recently, my parents were at the farmers' market. They were buying things that were past season in their garden, and things the garden didn't produce enough of, or they can't grow. My Mom was ready to pay, when my Dad appeared with 2 sweet potatoes.

They began to argue in front of everyone.

"Put those back, we don't need them."

"I want these."

"NO. We have some at home. I'm not getting any more."

And so it went. My Dad grew louder (as he does), his voice echoing off the produce, and my Mom got more stubborn. The cashier looked increasingly uncomfortable. As Dad put the sweet potatoes back, my Mom faced the cashier.

Talk about a frozen look.

My Mom quickly explained, "He wanted them for his goats."

More frozen look.

The goats got their sweet potatoes.



Now, my Mom tells me what beautiful goats they are, how smart they are, and how they follow my Dad like puppies.

I have a friend who is going to paint Joe and Billy's portrait for a Christmas present for my parents.


In what unlikely places have you found beauty?

8 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Madame! You came to my blog again? What a hilariously written story about GOATS! That was precious. Your parents sound like quite a couple! Oh let's see...I see beauty everywhere, but I have to say it's when a child hugs you without hardly knowing you and tells you how great you are! BEAUTIFUL! Bonsoir, Anita

FIONA said...

Merci, Madame!

I love your blog. It brightens my day. If I ever need a smile, I take a stroll through your beautiful art and creative writings.

Beauty is everywhere. You just have to be willing to see it.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

What a cute story, Fi... I know your parents are loving the life they are leading now.. That is SO neat. Even though I was raised in a small town, I am nothing but a 'city girl'... I know nothing about farms and farm animals--other than I love seeing them.

Glad the goats got their 'treat'... How cute!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

phylliso said...

OMG,did I ever laugh,I KNOW EXACTLY how your dad feels,we have a common spirit.I have to watch ours carefully all the time as they get in the worst trouble...this am I walked the dogs past the road to the pen & could hear Blackie "calling"me.As the dogs & I got closer,here was Ringo & Blackie,horns entangled,Blackie on his front knees,Ringo head bent way over.I wonder how long they were like that?I head a devil of a time getting them apart,all before I had to get ready for church.
There`s so much beauty in everything,I will have to think on it...phylliso

FIONA said...

Phylliso, Animals are such a delight, even when they get into a mess.

FIONA said...

Betsy, the goats get their treats very often.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oh, oh, oh...way too funny! We had goats when my daughter was still in high school and in 4-H. They are truly sweet animals but they were a lot of work. Still, what a great experience we had in raising them for "show" at the fair.

Beauty in odd places? I find beauty in the little red squirrel who lives in our garage (my husband has finally given in and says he can stay). He is all alone because there are no others like him around. He manages to whiz through the trees and tickle my fancy whenever he's out and about. He is beautiful with his red coat, white chest, and adorable antics!

FIONA said...

Coralie, I love squirrels. We have an all white one in our neighborhood, but I haven't managed to get a picture of him yet.