Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A sure sign of Fall

When my children were little, the front garden was full of edible plants. I wanted to keep the kids safe, and teach them about herbs. When they were a little older, I added edible flowers, too. All of the neighborhood kids knew anything growing by the front doors was fair game. One of them came back from college this summer and stopped by to pick day lilies, dill, and chives. I used to gather them in the morning for our evening salad and she would help.


Yesterday afternoon, it was 80, but the harbinger of Fall was there in my garden. My garlic chives, thyme, oregano, and dandelions, were buzzing with activity.

The garden has been rather neglected this summer. Indoor projects, travel, and writing, have taken my attention. So we are overrun with garlic chives. I was going to dig most of them out, but never found the time. I'm so glad I didn't.



In the evening, I happened on a different sort of wild life. Skitter Kitten found the perfect place to nap--on the new-to-me vintage tea table cloth I found at an estate sale.





Phyllis has some good shots of her friend's wildlife home.


Are you beginning to see signs of Fall? What's happening in your garden?

6 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Fiona, Your Skitter looks like a relaxed kitty for sure. Glad you bought that table cloth just for Skitter... ha ha

We have some signs of fall here also. Glad the neighborhood kids (who have grown up) remember all of the fun they had in your yard. NEAT!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

FIONA said...

Hi Betsy. These kids all grow up too soon, but we never seem to age (HA!).

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Madame!! Merci pour ĂȘtre venue `a Castles Crowns and Cottages for the final act! What fun. How are ya'? Anita

FIONA said...

Very well, Madame, merci.

Thanks for stopping by.

phylliso said...

My chives seem to have disappeared this year & I would`ve never thought about it if it hadn`t been for your post.I must have replanted them too often,thanks for stopping by,glad you are back & I have to get the piece you wrote.I`ve found another Karen Rose book at our library,so glad you clued me in on her writing,phylliso

FIONA said...

Hi Phylliso!

I'm always happy to share book ideas. So many books---so little time!