Friday, October 9, 2009

Rituals

When I'm reading or writing, I enjoy lighting a candle




and sipping a cup of tea.



There is something comforting, focusing, about these rituals. I find I am able to give myself over completely to the world I am entering.

I experienced a fascinating new world in LIAR, by Justine Larbalestier. I reserved it at my favorite local bookstore after reading the fantastic reviews.

I want to avoid revealing any spoilers, so I will keep this simple--READ THIS BOOK.

It is an amazing work of fiction. The book is distributed as a YA novel, but I found it sophisticated in plotting and character. After reading it, I had the same feeling I had after seeing THE SIXTH SENSE the first time--wow. I wanted to reread this book right away, re examine the "clues" and re experience the writing.


I enjoyed it just as much the second time, reading it in my quiet corner.




Reading wonderful fiction inspires me. Time to work on my own world-building.




Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

I love candles and drinking tea too! (Soon it will be hot chocolate.) That novel you mentioned sounds interesting....

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks for the heads up, Fiona! Nothing better than a good book... unless it is one of those cute fur babies!

XO,

Sheila :-)

FIONA said...

Hey Shelly and Sheila! Thanks for stopping by. Please note that in LIAR, the main character is a liar.

There is a little blue language--not much, and great writing.

once in a blue moon... said...

love your serenity, so not my life... with a house full of pets i haven't seen a lit candle in decades!

your book sounds intriguing, just ordered it from my library. i never read scary books, wish me luck!

FIONA said...

OIABM, I have two dogs and two cats, so all of my candles are in holders which are taller than the candles. I only light a candle I'm sitting beside. If I have to get up, I blow it out. This encourages me to avoid unnecessary interruptions when I'm reading or writing.

I hope you enjoy the book. It's a challenging read, but I found it captivating, and unlike anything I had ever read before.