Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thankful Thursday 12/10/09

This past Sunday, we had a tree-trimming party and invited friends and neighbors. We had a wonderful time. It gave me a chance to reflect on how fortunate we are to have so many special people in our lives.





We moved to MN 17 years ago, from FL. I had never lived in the midwest but my DH grew up in this part of the country. We were hours away from our closest family (DH's) and very far from my extended family.



Fortunately, DH had some friends from college nearby, and we have some very nice neighbors. They have included us in their family events and celebrations and we have never felt lonely.




This year, we invited the friends of our children, and the friends' families. Now we have new friends to enjoy.



After the tree was decorated, we all enjoyed coffee or punch and cookies. I had the kitchen table set up as a cookie decorating station. It was the most fun I have had in a long time.

This Thankful Thursday, I'm so thankful for the friends who have made MN a great place to live and raise our children.

Who are you thankful for?

9 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Fiona, That must have been a huge culture shock for you--moving from FL to MN.... But obviously it has worked out well for you. I'm so happy...

Your party sounded like loads of fun...

Hugs,
Betsy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a lovely post, Fiona! I'm thankful for our friends, too, and I'm thankful that our friends have adopted Mr. Magpie and me into their families. We are away from our families, too.

I'm thankful for the Lord's constant companionship and for my salvation.

I'm thankful for people who take care of children, old people, and animals in need of love.

And I am thankful that I have met wonderful people like you through my computer which I'm blessed to own.

XO,

Sheilla :-)

Martha said...

We do that, too. After the decorations are done, a cup of tea, coffee or cocoa and the first of the Christmas cookies and with only the tree lights enjoy our handiwork! Christmas trees are magical and there are no bad ones -- all are beautiful!

Shelley said...

Your Christmas tree looks wonderful! A tree trimming party w/ friends and family sounds so nice and fun. I imagine you've gotten used to the snow by now - LOL!!

Rhondi said...

Hi Fiona
I am so happy to know that you have wonderful friends there. I know what it is like to move away from everything familiar and deat to you. I wonder how that first winter was? Quite a shock I'm sure!
Hugs, Rhondi

Cheryl said...

Tku for dropping by my blog Fiona and so kindly leaving a comment. I value new visitors and their opinions...

I value and treasure so many but I suppose most of all my darling Grandchildren......each day is so meaningful with them around.....

Your home is pretty and inviting. To celebrate with friends is wonderful and I just love the 'cookie thing'....sounds such fun......

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Everything is so pretty. I have to decorate now.

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Everything is so pretty. I have to decorate now.

FIONA said...

So glad you could stop by DSG.

Have fun decorating.