Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thankful Thursday 12/17/09


Old friends are one of my greatest treasures. They know my past, including my mistakes, and accept me for who I am. They are the ones who can share my joys, console me in times of crisis, and give me great advice. I am so fortunate for my decades-old friendships.

My friends who live close by have been a great support. We don't have any relatives closer than 4 hours away, so I have been able to rely on local friends to help in times of trouble, and to celebrate holidays and family milestones.

Even though many friends are in different parts of the country, we keep in touch. Sometimes we plan vacations together, or visit each other. Those are special times. Thank goodness for email, and free weekend calling on my cell phone so we can chat and share photos between visits.

I enjoy making new friends, too. The internet has given me some great new cyber-friends. Blogging and emailing are wonderful for someone who works at home like me.


I'm so thankful for my friends.

And now, to get to know you better, I have one of those questionnaires. My answers are on them.

Please post yours in the comments, or on your blog with a link.



FOOD:
What is your salad dressing of choice? Balsamic Vinaigrette. I hate most creamy dressings, except a perfectly made Caesar.

What is your favorite sit down restaurant? La Belle Vie -a great Minneapolis French restaurant that we go to on birthdays or anniversaries.

What is your favorite fast food restaurant? Big Bowl (Asian food) carry-out

What food could you eat every day for two weeks and not get sick of? Fresh cherries

What are your pizza toppings of choice: black olives, sausage, and green peppers


BIOLOGY:

Are you right-handed or left-handed? Right.

Have you ever had anything removed from your body? Tonsils, ovarian cysts (twice), gall bladder--I'm not sure what other non-vital parts are left!

What is the last heavy item you lifted? The coffee table, to make room for the Christmas tree.

Have you ever been knocked unconscious? Yes--pre-op drugs



RANDOM STUFF:

How many televisions are in your house? Two. we had one for years, but when we completed our family room this summer, we broke down and got a second.

What color cell phone do you have? Black.

If it were possible, would you want to know the day you were going to die? NO

Last person you talked to? DH

Last person you hugged? Youngest son before he left for school.


FAVORITES:

Season? Fall. I love the colors.

Holiday ? Easter. Growing up, this was when we had our family reunion on my Mother's side. I hope to go this year.

Day of the week? Friday--no after school activities for the kids, so no driving.

Month? September/October


CURRENT STUFF:

Missing someone? Parents and sister's family---they'll all be together for Christmas and we can't go. :-(

Mood? Over-scheduled

What are you listening to? News on the radio.

Watching? Looking at my computer, and watching the birds at the bird feeder

Worrying about? My niece.

What's the last movie you saw? UP. We rented it this weekend. I was so surprised by the love story aspect.

Do you smile often? Yes. I have so much to be thankful for.

If you could change your eye color what would it be? More green. My mom's eyes are an amazing green, but mine are hazel.

Do you own a digital camera? Yes. Dh and the boys got it for me for Christmas last year.

What's on your wish list for your birthday? New headphones for my iPod.

Can you do pushups? A few

Can you do a chin up? NO

Does the future make you more nervous or excited? Excited

Car wreck? Hit by a drunk driver 21 years ago, and a couple fender-benders where I was rear-ended.

Do you have an accent? Midwesterners think I do.

Last time you cried? Saturday night, after talking to my sister about her Christmas plans.

Plans tonight? Drive oldest son to get his H1N1 shot, and to Lacrosse practice--then have dinner.

Name 3 things you bought yesterday? Two magazines for the boys, and a book for my great niece.

Have you ever been given roses? Yes. The last time was on Valentine's day. We went out to lunch, and DH had ordered a sweet little bouquet to greet me when we arrived at the restaurant.

Met someone who changed your life? Yes. DH.

How did you bring in the new year? At home with family playing games until midnight.

Would you go back in time if you were given the chance? Yes

What songs do you sing in the shower? None

Who was the last person you took a picture of? My sons.

Are most of the friends in your life new or old? True friends are people I have known for years.

Do you like pulpy orange juice? Yes

What is something your friends make fun of you for? My fear of heights

Last time you ate peanut butter and jelly? This summer.

What were you doing 12 AM last night? Reading and waiting for DH to get home from work.

What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? Hit the snooze button.

Check out other THANKFUL THURSDAY posts at Rhondi’s blog.



8 comments:

Shelley said...

These were fun to read about you Fiona! Like you - I love balsamic dressing. Also have had my gallbladder out - but sounds like you are missing more body parts than me - lol! HOpe this Christmas season is lovely for you!!

FIONA said...

Shelley, so far it's been wonderful. I hope yours is fantastic, too.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Fiona, I'm glad to read more about you... Thanks for sharing.. I am a 'lefty' --and my favorite food is peanut butter. I grew up eating peanut butter, mayo and banana sandwiches. Most people don't put that combination together. I'll blame it on my mother!!! ha

Thanks again for sharing. Friends are special for sure!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

FIONA said...

Hugs to you, too, Betsy.

What an interesting sandwich. I grew up on plain peanut butter sandwiches.

I prfer grilled cheese, now. :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What is your salad dressing of choice? Caesar or Ranch.

What is your favorite sit down restaurant? Nearby? 95 Cordova Other places? Galatoire's in NOLA.

What is your favorite fast food restaurant? I don't eat fast food, but in terms of carry-out, I like to go to Carraba's.

What food could you eat every day for two weeks and not get sick of? Organic plain yogurt... I have it for breakfast.

What are your pizza toppings of choice: black olives, mushrooms, onions, extra cheese.


BIOLOGY:

Are you right-handed or left-handed? Right.

Have you ever had anything removed from your body? Tonsils and wisdom teeth.
What is the last heavy item you lifted? I don't remember, but I can't lift heavy things.

Have you ever been knocked unconscious? Yes. When I was little, I hit my head on the manicuring table in the beauty shop.

RANDOM STUFF:

How many televisions are in your house? Three, and I don't watch.

What color cell phone do you have? Silver.

If it were possible, would you want to know the day you were going to die? Yes.

Last person you talked to? My BFF

Last person you hugged? My friends who treated me to dinner last night.


FAVORITES:

Season? Spring. I love the flowers and the colors.

Holiday ? Easter.

Day of the week? Sunday

Month? April (perfect weather)


CURRENT STUFF:

Missing someone? People I love who are no longer with me.

Mood? A bit frazzled.

What are you listening to? Sound of typing.

Watching? my computer monitor

Worrying about? How I'm going to get done by Christmas!

What's the last movie you saw? "Amelia Earhart"

Do you smile often? Yes. I have so much to be thankful for.

If you could change your eye color what would it be? Light Blue.

Do you own a digital camera? Yes.

What's on your wish list for your birthday? I haven't thought that far.

Can you do pushups? Yikes! Don't ask!

Can you do a chin up? Haven't tried in years.

Does the future make you more nervous or excited? Excited

Do you have an accent? I was a speech major, so my Southern accent isn't as pronounced as it once was which is a shame. I like accents.

Last time you cried? Yesterday at a funeral.

Plans tonight? Get caught up so I can attend a party tomorrow and do the tree on Sunday.

Name 3 things you bought yesterday? Ornaments for friends Blake, Chris, and Khaki.


Have you ever been given roses? Yes.

Met someone who changed your life? Yes. I think everyone changes your life if you give them the chance, hopefully for the better.

How did you bring in the new year? At a New Years party in St. Augustine at my next door neighbor's house.

Would you go back in time if you were given the chance? Yes

What songs do you sing in the shower? Hymns

Who was the last person you took a picture of? Stella, the paper doll.

Are most of the friends in your life new or old?

I have both silver and gold friends. I love them both.

Do you like pulpy orange juice? I like Tropicana, either way.

What is something your friends make fun of you for? My messy car! It looks like migrants live in there... filled to the brim with stuff from traveling back and forth, hither and yon. ;-)

Last time you ate peanut butter and jelly? Years.

What were you doing 12 AM last night? I was trying to blog and fell asleep at the keyboard. It was a long day.

What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? Today, it was, "Argh! Why are those men making that horrible, horrible noise with a truck? And how long will this go on? I need sleep!" As it was, they kept at it, rattling the windows, till I got out of bed. Then I was off all day... locked the house key in the house, went all over town from one post office (which was closed for two hours at lunch) to the other where I saw friends, and they saw me without makeup! LOL! It was THAT type of day. ;-)

FIONA said...

Thanks, Magpie. I forgot about wisdom teeth, LOL.

It's fun to learn more about my cyber friends.

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Thanks so much for stopping by. Love the white roses. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Theresa

FIONA said...

Hi Theresa. Thanks for stopping by. Merry Christmas to you.