Friday, January 1, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR


The four of us celebrated Christmas at home this year--the first time in a couple of years. It was so nice to wake up in our home, open presents in our new family room, and have a quite dinner.





The next day, we hit the road and drove to see both of my DH's brothers and their families. My S-I-L in Illinois had her tree beautifully decorated. Her home is so tasteful, and comfortable. She goes out of her way to make us feel welcomed whenever we visit.







On the way to Illinois, we stopped in Wisconsin to see my DH's middle brother. His adult son and daughters were there from Philly, Milwaukee, and Chicago. We had not seen all of them together for two years, so it was a treat. My B-I-L received a full-sized replica of a skeleton as his Christmas present from his wife and kids. My children had to have it in the family picture. Someone decided it was naked, and needed some clothes.





Seventeen years ago, my DH and I moved to the midwest. It was the perfect job for him, and we were only 7 hours from his parents and oldest brother, and only 3 hours from his middle brother.

Of course, that put us half a continent away from my extended family. I had never lived north of Baltimore before, and had only been west of the Mississippi once.




This was a very difficult Christmas for me because my parents, sister, b-i-l, niece and nephew and their spouses were all together for Christmas and we couldn't be there. It will be the last time all of them are together for Christmas for a long time, since my niece and her husband leave next week for Oahu, and will be there for three years.

I miss being close to my sister and parents. We talk and email frequently, but it's not the same as seeing each other and celebrating holidays and milestones together.





Fortunately for me, my sisters-in-law have been kind and loving, welcoming me into their family and helping me adjust to life in the great white north.


I am grateful for all of my family and the time we are able to share.


My New Year's Day post, and list of resolutions will appear later.

1 comment:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I know how you feel. I miss my loved ones at Christmas, too, but like you, I'm so thankful for my close friends who are more than family to us! :-)

XO,

Sheila